After posting about Shojo Beat, I was thinking about how much I like the shojo (young girl) stories. I did renew my subscription to the magazine and I have and plan to collect many more girl stories.
But sometimes I want something more. A similar magazine for grownup women. A josei jaunt magazine, as it were.
I’d like to see women who are aged 20 and older. Women who have the means to change their communities. Women who work to support themselves and their dependents. Women who know a bit about who they are.
So, here is a wish list for a josei manga magazine:
- A domestic series like Maison Ikkoku. (It’s really a young man’s story of growing up but there are lots of good female characters.)
- A work series like Tramps Like Us (Journalist who tries to balance her boyfriend, her job, and her teenage “pet.” Her career troubles fascinate me.)
- An historical title: Millennium Actress (Emotional story of a woman’s film career reflecting the historical changes around her. I know it is animation.)
- An environmentalist title: Gorillas in the Mist (Both Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke have young girls as protagonists, or I would have listed them.)
- A dark fantasy/horror title: Tarot Cafe (A witch helps fantasy creatures find peace. I know it is not Japanese.)
- A SF adventure title: Alien (I don’t know of any adult women who are the lead character in a SF manga. I like Faye from Cowboy Bebop but she’s not the lead.)
I know that I’m out of the loop, and there are probably lots of these kinds of manga available in English. I also know I can find these kinds of stories in US independent titles and European titles.
*wistfully* I would just like to read the manga ones.