Image via Wikipedia
This is a short list of horror movies that I thought were a little stranger than usual.
1. Parents (1989) Leave it to Beaver with gore. 1950s suburban boy suspects his parents are a bit odd in their meat-eating habits. The only vegetarian horror movie I’ve seen.
2. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) El Laberinto del Fauno. Young girl finds fairy allies against vicious stepfather/army officer during the Franco dictatorship. Technically not a horror movie but it’s the grimmest fantasy film I’ve seen in a while. Returns to the earlier visions of faeries as dangerous as well as entrancing.
3. The Frighteners (1996) Paranormal investigator faces off against murderous ghost. Starts off as a spooky sit-comedy and morphs into nastiness toward the end. There is no audience this is meant for. I still liked it.
4. Cemetary Man (1994) Dellamorte Dellamore. Caretaker Frances Dellamorte blows away zombies that pop up each night in the local cemetery. All part of the job. The group I watched it with came up with an interpretation but not everyone enjoys movies this anti-linear.
5. Chinese Ghost Story (1987) Sien nui yau wan. Tax collector encounters a cursed town inhabited by unusual people. The mid-film rap song by the swordsman was a deal-breaker for some of the people watching it. This was So Much Fun.
6. Uzumaki (2000). High school student Kirie slowly comes to realize that her small town is haunted by spirals. Yeah, spirals are out to mesmerize and kill everyone in town! Kind of lame as horror but it is still highly, highly entertaining.