Short month of blogging there. Mixed bag here but at least I read some full novels this month.
Not a Box about a rabbit/child who is playing with a box and becomes increasingly annoyed with the staid viewpoint of the adult questioner. It’s funny and impertinent. Diary of a Spider is light-hearted tale of a girl spider and her daily life. Really Rabbits is about housekeeping bunnies and is adorable with a kind of low-key humor.The Snowglobe Family is about a family of humans and a family living within the snowglobe. It is an unusual story and done well, I thought. The Man Who Walked Between the Towers is bittersweet and beautiful and is really a short story for adults. I can’t imagine a kid liking it.
I did like the few facts about hockey that wriggled into Don’t Sit on My Lunch.
Fun & Games with Fantastic Five had an annoying concept, in a parallel universe, Mary Jane and Peter Parker have a super daughter. Touch of Venom – the story had Venom taking over Spider-Girl’s father and attacking her which was much better. However, there were obvious short-cuts in the artwork and that dragged it down.
I liked Witch – these are cute stories with top-notch Disney art. Peach Fuzz was best when focused on the ego-centric ferritt.
Teen and Adult Novels
Criss Cross was a bit stagnant but I think that was the point of the book and Artemis Fowl had an ending that cheated.
I really liked Peeps – the chapters on parasites were fun. Watch Your Back – the kid is introduced in this one which made it extra fun.
- Wet Dog by Elise Broach (picture book)
- Dibble and Dabble by Dave Saunders (picture book)
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister (board book)
- Jump Frog Jump by Robert Kalan (board book)
- Do Mermaids Wet Their Beds by Jeanne Willis (picture book)
- Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin (picture book)
- Duck for President by Doreen Cronin, Betsy Lewin (picture book)
- Walter Was a Frog by Diane Redfield Massey (picture book)
- I Hate Reading by Arthur Bacon, Henry Bacon (picture book)
- Bad Frogs by Thacher Hurd (picture book)
- Really Rabbits by Virginia L. Kroll (picture book)
- Not a Box by Antoinette Portis (picture book)
- The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein (picture book)
- Everything I Know About Pirates by Tom Lichtenheld (picture book)
- Snowglobe Family by Jane O’Connor (picture book)
- Don’t Sit on My Lunch by Abby Klein (chapter book)
- Cam Jansen and the School Play Mystery by David A. Adler (chapter book)
- Skate Park Challenge by Jake Maddox (chapter book)
- The Other Side by Istvan Banyai (graphic novel)
- Peach Fuzz vol. 1 by Lindsay Chibos, Jared Hodges (graphic novel)
- Batman: Crime Time by Bill Matheny (graphic novel)
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula by Michael Burgen, Jose Alfonso Ocampo Ruiz (graphic novel)
- Spider-Girl: Touch of Venom by Tom Defalco (graphic novel)
- Spider-Girl: Fun and Games with the Fantastic Five by Tom Defalco (graphic novel)
- W.I.T.C.H. no. 4: Between Light and Dark (graphic novel)
- Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
- Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins
- Edge of Winter by Betty Neels
- Watch Your Back by Donald E. Westlake
- Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer